Thursday, April 2, 2015

B is for



One afternoon, many years ago when I lived in Singapore, I went shopping on Orchard Road with a Chinese friend.  I loved shopping with her.  She was the type of friend I'd dreamed of as a pre-teen.  The kind of friend who told me what I should wear and what I shouldn't.  The day she came over to my flat and excavated my wardrobe is a story for another time. 

On this day, I was shopping for a dress and jewelry to wear to a friend's summer wedding.  "Ai yo," she exclaimed when she caught me peering at cubic zirconia necklaces.  "You're a teacher. Everyone knows that isn't real."  In that moment, she taught me that, in Singapore, it's better to wear a small diamond and a real diamond than grandly fake it.

What would Suzanne make of Houston, I wonder?  Where any t-shirt, pair of jeans, even tape dispenser can be improved with a layer of bling-the brighter, the flashier, the better.  She'd adjust, I suppose.  Suzanne was always a 'when-in-Rome-type of girl.'  Still, I wondered what she'd make of it all.

When I first moved here, I balked from the gaudy displays and cursed my inability to find a pair of jeans without any sparkles.  But I wonder.  It seems as though-despite history or intention-when you live in a place, the culture somehow seeps into you, slowly, until you have become part of it and reinforce its rules.

Clothes I wouldn't have thought fit for an indoor cleaning day in Singapore suited me fine for a trip to the mall in Seattle.  I'm still no diva, but I now wear eyeliner more days than I don't.  Still, there are times when the level of my enculturation surprises even me.  
A week before my college reunion, I treated myself to a pedicure with a friend.  With a sense of summer splurge, we opted for the SPA PEDICURE complete with paraffin treatment.  When asked if I wanted any art, I thought, why not.  My big-toe orchid looked so unremarkable next to my friend's full floral that, as we were set to dry, I wondered whether I should've asked for more.

The next week in New York, I happily greeted friends that I hadn't seen in years.  As I checked into the hotel, I ran into one of my best girlfriends feeling at home for the first time in months.  After we had been talking for a few minutes, her gaze slipped to my new sandals.  "Nice sandals," she said.  "Thanks," I replied. Then, seeing her gaze linger on my toes, added "Isn't the flower fun?"  "Sure," she replied smiling.  "It must be a Texas thing."  In that moment, the cloud outside the window behind where we stood shifted just enough for a tiny beam of sunlight to break through.  The strip of light fell on us, and, in that moment, for the very first time, I saw a flash - a swift sparkle.  In the middle of the Orchid-glued in place-lay a teeny--, teeny-tiny rhinestone.

I guess it's true what they say.  You can never really go home again.


No comments:

Post a Comment